This Week in Science Fiction
It’s been a long week, folks, and the internet has been positively rife with exciting science fiction news; so rife, in fact, that I’ve hardly been able to keep up with it all. Luckily for you, however, I have managed to boil down the most exciting stories of the week into a nice, boring list. No need to thank me, friends. Here’s this week in science fiction:
- The first trailer for the upcoming remake of Robocop has hit the web to a sea of wavering skepticism. The cast looks incredibly promising, but something about the trailer seems a little too straight forward on the action for my tastes. The original Robocop felt much darker, and it provided a sense of social commentary that this film doesn’t seem to have. On the other hand, this is only the trailer, and I have been pleasantly surprised by remakes before. Who knows? This could be absolutely incredible, but only time will tell.
- The winners of the 2013 Hugo Awards have finally been listed, featuring a number of incredible short stories, novels, and comic books. Take a gander at the list of nominees and recipients, folks; you may just find your new favorite author on there.
- Gather ye dollars while ye may, Whovians. The BBC is releasing all of Doctor Who (series 1 - 7) on Blu-Ray in an amazing collectors edition, set to hit stores on November 5th. Not only does the box set include every episode and television special in 1080p, but it also includes special features, original art cards featuring 9, 10, and 11, an exclusive Doctor Who comic, and (get this) a universal remote in the shape of a Sonic Screwdriver. Look, I’m not one to beg, but can someone please drop three hundred and fifty bones on this for me? Please?
- Roland Emmerich, co-creator of the Stargate movie circa 1994, has fans of the franchise dizzy with excitement. (Do you guys even have a name? Gaters? Gateheads?) Emmerich is currently in talks with MGM to reboot his vision as a trilogy of films. Some fans wonder whether rehashing the franchise is even necessary at all, considering the vast array of television series that branched off from the original film. Gateheads will have to wait a little while longer before anything is confirmed, however, considering that Mr. Emmerich is currently shooting Independence Day 2, and we all know how important that is.
- If you’ve been following this blog for some time now, you may know just how much I adore the television series Futurama. I’ve toted it as the wittiest animated series of our generation, and I don’t think I’m too far off in that assessment, if you ask me. And, while I knew this day would eventually come, I wasn’t truly prepared for the series to end. Like all good things, however, it has. I hesitate to link you to any reviews of the finale, as they are all heavily laden with spoilers, but I can tell you this — for a show that’s been on the air for almost fourteen years, I’d say it had a pretty good run. Farewell, Futurama. I’ll never forget you.
- Dark Horse Comics are gearing up for something spectacular. This image, depicting the legendary Serenity-class ship Firefly from the television series bearing the same name, with the words “#wheresserenity" across the front, has graced their blog, effectively hinting at the possibility of an upcoming return to the Firefly universe in comic form. So far, Dark Horse is keeping a tight lid on any facts surrounding the arrival of a new series, but all signs point to “hell yes”. Keep an eye out for everyone’s favorite “big damn heroes” returning to a comic book store near you.
Firefly Returns in Browncoats Unite
Get your pretty floral bonnets ready, folks. Science Channel is airing a one-hour special entitled Browncoats Unite in celebration of Firefly’s ten year anniversary.
The feature is set to include the reunion of the cast at this year’s Comic-Con, as well as in-depth and exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with Nathan Fillion and Joss Whedon, as well as Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, Sean Maher, showrunner Tim Minear, and writer Jose Molina.
November 11th sees the return of our favorite space ruffians to television with an all day marathon airing on the Science Channel before the special’s premiere. If you’re lucky enough to be attending SDCC, catch the panel live on Friday at 12:30 p.m.
July 3rd, 2012
- In Doctor Who news, the latest casting for the seventh season has been revealed. Additionally, Douglas Adams’ unfinished episode “Shada”, is getting a novelisation by long-time writer of the show, Gareth Roberts. Roberts has written some of the more entertaining episodes of Doctor Who - I’m certain his adaptation of Adams’ work will be a perfect fit.
- Total Recall has a new trailer, featuring robots, explosions, and a three-breasted prostitute. Plus, Bryan Cranston is in it. What more can you ask for?
- The cast and crew of Firefly are reuniting at Comic-Con on July 13th, 2012. Show-runner Joss Whedon will take part in a panel with writer Tim Minear, as well as Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin, Sean Maher, and Michael Fairman, to celebrate the show’s ten-year anniversary. There are rumors circulating the web with fans wildly speculating about the show’s future now that Mr. Whedon has won the hearts of a larger audience. No word yet one way or the other, but you can bet there’ll be a frantic post from me if we get any kind of confirmation on the matter.
- Say hello to “Mi-Fi”: tiny Lego recreations of some of your favorite scenes from science fiction. Personal favorites? The cast of Futurama and this awesome Death Star trench. Featured above: Resistance Is Futile by halfbeak.
- Two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation are being brought to theatres on July 23rd, to celebrate the launch of the show’s first season being brought to Blu-Ray, as well as it’s 25 year anniversary. The screenings of “Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore" will be accompanied by a sneak peak at the special footage found on the Blu-Ray. You can watch the trailer and get your tickets here.
That’s the round-up for today. Just as a heads-up, posts will continue to be queued up through the next day or so, on account of my celebrating another year around the sun today. Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for a sci-fi/gaming giveaway we’ll be doing soon with The Red Herb. We think you guys are gonna like it, so stay tuned!